Why You Should Not Obtain a Tourist Visa for Marriage

If the purpose of your travel to the United States is to marry your American fiance(e), you must obtain a US K1 fiance(e) visa. Any attempt to obtain a tourist visa or to enter the U.S. using another type of visa besides fiance(e) visa for purposes of marriage in the US is an immigration fraud for which you could be penalized or banned from entering U.S. soil. This can result to a serious immigration problem.

Penalties may include restrictions on applicant's capability to receive immigration benefits, a fine of $10,000 or less, and imprisonment for up to 5 years.

US K1 Fiance(e) Visa Application in the Philippines

If you and your US citizen fiance(e) are planning to get married, your American petitioner should file a petition for K1 fiance(e) visa. The process is not too complicated if you will follow the rules and instructions, and most specially if you would hire a US immigration or visa attorney in Manila or abroad to assist and represent you for your US K1 fiance(e) visa application in the Philippines.

Fiance(e) Under a Different Visa Status, Decided to Marry

In a different scenario, if you are already in the U.S. under a different visa status and eventually you and your American fiance(e) decided to marry, you may seek an adjustment.

Your American citizen fiance(e) must file form l-130, a relative petition for you as his or her spouse. You should file form l-145 along with his or her petition.

When Fiance(e) Unlawfully Entered the US

If you unlawfully entered the US and decided to marry your American fiance(e), your US citizen spouse may still file form l-130, relative petition. However if approved, you will have to return to the Philippines to continue your immigrant visa process at the US Embassy in Manila Philippines.

Get help from a US Fiance(e) Visa Lawyer in Manila

Because some cases are too complex to process, it is best to consult a US fiance(e) visa lawyer in Manila or abroad who has adept knowledge and years of experience in handling fiance(e) visa cases. At Bridgeway Immigration, we have a skilled US fiance(e) visa lawyer in Manila to personally attend to you. Get your case evaluated by using the contact form on the right.

Article Disclaimer: This article is made available by the lawyer publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. Use of this article does not create an Attorney Client Relationship. This article does not offer or dispense legal advice. By using the article, the reader agrees that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created. The article is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The information on the article may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct or up-to-date. The opinions expressed at or through the article are the opinions of the individual author. The article should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your jurisdiction.


  • 23rd Floor Bonifacio Stopover Corporate Center 31st Street corner 2nd Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, Philippines 1634

Follow Us